Monday, September 22, 2008

The places that we find ourselves

Paris was something unexpected.

I'm not sure what I was actually expecting. I knew that I never expected to go. On those sad lonely days, I thought I would never get to the places I had always wanted to go. But that's life. It will constantly surprise you.

I was sitting having brunch with the most awful women on a hot day in May. My large brimmed hat wasn't covering face enough and she was going on and on about politics.

Now, I have never been accused of being a girl with a lot of tact but I do have rules. I don't discuss religion or politics, especially with someone that I merely an acquaintance.

I had tried to steer the conversation away to different subjects like knitting (she was an avid knitter) and her lovely husband and his new and equally lovely girlfriend but she only wished to discuss American politics. So rather than get into a shouting match and having to storm away after punching her in the face, I let my mind wander.

I closed my eyes and looked at the shadows of the tree branches above me through my eyelids.

I saw myself walking through Paris, riding the carosel in front of the Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, wandering the street until I found a cute little cafe to have a bite to eat. I listened to the wind blow and the quiet of the city in the early afternoon.

A heavy clang of a knife dropping onto a plate brought me back to my brunch. She was staring at me. I apologized, telling her the martini had gone to my head. Flustered, she dropped a few twenties on the table and bid me a good afternoon. I think I made her mad.

Never mind that though. She was a twit anyway. I had a thought at that moment that would change my current path. A sudden and strange realization. I knew someone that was in Paris right now. At that exact moment she was walking along the Seine, watching people peruse the book stands along the sidewalk.

How could I have not thought of it before? I booked a flight that evening. In 6 days I would be in Paris.

Never underestimate what is possible. You MUST ask yourself, "Is this idea impossible? Is there no possible way for it to come true?" I think we get caught up in the details and 'what if's' and the negative things. Ask yourself, "Why not?" and then don't answer.

There are somethings in life you just have to jump into. Having a baby? No. A trip to Paris? Yes! High risk investing. No. Saying yes to the guy at the cafe who asked you out? Yes! If the little voice in the back of your head, even for just a moment says a quick "Yes!" then go for it! Don't let you sych you out.France_Paris_Tour_Eiffel_02

Believe me. I do it all the time.

Sitting on the plane, my first time in first class, I was in awe of myself. I never thought I would find myself here. I was going to a foreign country with no plan. I knew a total of 6 words of French. I was taking the Parisian subway all by myself without maps or directions. I was scared as hell. I was ecstatic. I was doing it.

And then, I opened my eyes and I was in Paris. And it was one of the best trips I ever had. But that's for another blog. I digress. My point?

If you let it happen, you can still surprise yourself. Jump.


Again, feel free to use the photos that are mine; just let me know and link me.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: