Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Be a part of it all.

Fashion is so shallow.

That's what my friend Mike says.

I want to punch him in the face.

I love fashion. It's art that can be touched and experienced. You can live in it and exude it. Clothing has power but only if you let it. It's like being in your favorite painting or the muse of your favorite song. You are a part of it.


What is more artful than John Galliano? His work is so big and he has such vision. It's crazy and bold and he apologizes for nothing. He doesn't fuck around. That's why I like him. It's what I want to rule the world in, the benevolent sorceress.

Alexander McQueen is another favorite of mine. His work is like a dream, a fairy tale. He wraps you in tulle and black and feathers and your safe and beautiful. It's what I want to get married in.

I know, I know, it's all so dramatic. There is something to be said about a little subtly, for which there is always a time and a place. A little Chanel with a touch of lace. That classic Calvin Klein dress.

But it's not all about who your wearing; art can be created by anyone. Some of my favorite pieces are thrift shop finds. (and I feel those are more satisfying because you have to work to find it!) And not to mention that there are many labels, that I won't mention, that I find uninspired and even downright ugly, yet somehow their bags and clothes are going for thousands of dollars. I don't get it...

It's not about the too skinny models or who went to what show. It's not about the catfights backstage or how much the line is going for. It's about the art. Period.

I love art. I love fashion. Screw you for thinking I'm elitist, shallow and stuck up. No, not you. Mike. Screw you Mike.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: